Gift certificates are an effective way to increase your sales and reach new customers. Over 80% of people in the U.S. will purchase a gift certificate this holiday season, and according to Shopatron, over 40% of those who receive a gift certificate will be new customers. Gift certificate customers also spend an average of 40% more than the value of their gift certificate.
To further emphasize the value a gift certificate can bring, giving the gift of an experience creates much more happiness in people than buying stuff. This is good news for your travel related companies!
While most businesses offer gift certificates, many do not market them properly and customers are not aware that they are offered. Getting the word out doesn’t necessarily require an aggressive campaign or a lot of time or money. There are several simple market techniques you can employ to increase your margins and find new customers this holiday season.
Set up gift certificates on your website
It only takes a small amount of time to set up Checkfront’s gift certificate add-on to your website’s reserve page. Here are the instructions. Over 67% of holiday shoppers will go online to shop this season and even more will spend time online researching gift ideas.
Now is the time to get the word out
- Send an email about your gift certificates to your customer list.
- Schedule posts about them on your social media feeds with great photos of your products, tour activities, accommodations, etc.
- Add some text and a link into the bio sections of your social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest).
- Incorporate a clickable image to gift certificate options in the automated confirmation and Thank You emails you send out to customers.
- Add a little text about the gift certificates and a link into the About section of your booking portal so customers see the option as they are booking with you. Also write about them in the introductory text on your reserve page.
- Let your partners know and sell them through your agent channels.
- Add an image to your already existing promotional images like this seen below. This could be your Facebook cover photo or your website homepage, etc.
- Advertise online with Google ads and Facebook ads. This can be done with a very small budget.
- Have your staff mention them to customers during checkins and checkouts.
- Have signage and posters made to put around your storefront or kiosk.
Selling electronic gift certificates can bring a lot of new and returning customers to your business. Without marketing them and reminding consumers that you offer them, you may miss out on this opportunity to increase sales.
And a note to the men: when it comes to the travel industry, gift certificates are the most wanted gift by women.