- TABLE OF CONTENTS
- • Setup in Vend
- – Outlets & Registers
- – Sales Tax
- – Default Payment Type
- – Account Users
- – Products
- – Exporting CF Customers to VEND
- • Setup in Checkfront
- • Item Mapping
- • User Mapping
- • Making & Locating a Booking
Your booking details are accessible via your main menu bar at Booking > Index
Please Read First:
Vend does not currently support multiple or inclusive taxes in their system. If your business is setup in such a way and your pricing structure is configured with inclusive pricing, then Vend is probably not the best solution for you at this time.
Connecting Vend POS To Your Checkfront Account
Vend is a beautifully designed and easy to use retail POS (Point of Sale) software tool for your business. It enables you to manage your inventory, e-commerce and customer loyalty, both in the cloud and offline.
It’s accessible through your iPad, Mac or PC and comes with a free 30-day trial to get you started.
This guide covers the basic steps required to configure your Vend account for integration with Checkfront. For additional information on other Vend features and their setup, please consult Vend’s Help Center directly.
Setup in Vend
Before starting the integration with Checkfront, it’s best to make sure you have everything configured in Vend first. You may have been using Vend for a while, in which case, you are probably ready to go ahead with the integration. Either way, it’s always still a good idea to go through your items etc. in Vend and make sure they are ready to be mapped to your items at Checkfront.
Outlets & Registers
When integrating Vend with Checkfront, you will be required to define which specific outlet and register the bookings should be applied to.
In your Vend account, navigate to Setup > Outlets & Registers.
It’s recommended you create a register specifically for your Checkfront bookings. This can then be mapped to your staff members in a later stage of the setup. Click on the Add a Register link to create your new register.
From the same Setup menu, click on Sales Taxes.
If you don’t already have your taxes configured in Vend, click on the Add Sales Tax button.
Enter a name for your tax and the relevant rate. When ready, click on the blue Add Sales Tax button.
Default Payment Type
By default, your Vend account comes with 2 payment types already configured – cash and credit card.
If you’d like to configure any more, click on the New Payment Type button.
The next thing you should do is configure your users, or staff members, in Vend, so that they can be mapped to Checkfront in a later step. Click on the Users link from the Setup menu in Vend.
You might already have your users setup in Vend, but if not, click on the Add User button to create one.
Create a new user profile for each staff member in your organization that will be processing bookings.
When you have all your users in Vend, move on to the next step.
The final step in Vend is to add your products. These will then be mapped to your items in Checkfront, so that when a booking is made via Checkfront, it will update the correct product in Vend.
There are a couple of ways to add a product to Vend. The first way is to import it directly from Checkfront. This can be done through the item’s Advanced tab in your Checkfront account.
In the Vend SKU field, you would select Import From Checkfront. This can only be done, however, once the integration is complete. We’ll look at this in more detail later on.
In order for the manual item import to work, the Automatically import unmapped Checkfront items into Vend option must be left unchecked when setting up the integration in Checkfront.
The second method for adding your products to Vend is to simply create them from scratch. This is actually the preferable method since the direct import option does not bring over many of the item attributes, such as price.
To create a new product, navigate to the Products menu in Vend and then click on the Products link.
From here, click on the Add Product button.
Fill out as much product detail as necessary and click on the blue Save Product button to complete the process.
Exporting Checkfront Customers to Vend:
When a new customer is created in Checkfront, their information will automatically be synced with Vend, providing you set the system up this way during the integration. If you’d like to export your past customers to Vend, you can do so by following these steps:
1) Create a customer file from your Checkfront database
First of all, you’ll need to export your customer directory from Checkfront as a CSV file.
2) Create a test customer in Vend
Manually create a new sample customer in Vend, filling out all the relevant fields. This will correctly populate the export file you will create in the next step.
3) Export your Vend customers
While viewing the customer list in Vend, click on the Export button. This will download the customer information as a CSV file, similar to the one you’ve already created in Checkfront.
4) Merge your Checkfront customer data with your Vend customer data
Manually map the data from your Checkfront file to the Vend file by copying the Checkfront data and pasting it into the matching column in your Vend file (“First Name” -> first_name etc).
5) Import the updated CSV file to Vend
You should now have an updated CSV file that you can now upload to your Vend account. To do so, click on the Import button in your Vend customer list and choose Import from CSV. Select the file from your computer to continue.
Setup in Checkfront
To begin setup in Checkfront, navigate to Manage > Add-ons in your Checkfront account. Look for the Vend tile, hover over it with your mouse cursor and click on the Setup button.
A pop-up window will appear with some information on the Vend add-on, including some recommendations on how to add your products to Vend. At this time, it’s recommended you create the products manually in Vend as the current import system is very limited in the data it can transfer over.
Next, you need to give Checkfront permission to connect to your Vend account.
Click on the Activate button to continue. Enter your store name and click the Next button.
Enter your username and password, then click on the blue Allow Access button.
Assuming the credentials you entered are accepted, you will now have the opportunity to create some default settings. Each option consists of a drop-down menu from which you can make your selections.
Default Register: Choose the default register to which your bookings will be applied. We created a register specifically for Checkfront bookings in an earlier step, so we’ll make that selection here.
Default Tax: If you have any taxes configured in your account, you can select the default one here.
Options: In this menu, you can choose more than one of the available options if you like. Simply click each one you would like to include and a checkmark will appear to the right of it. The options are as follows:
• Automatically import unmapped Checkfront items into Vend: When your Checkfront items are mapped to your products in Vend, a new booking on one of those Checkfront items will be applied against the matching product in Vend. If the item booked in Checkfront does not already have a matching product in Vend, then Vend will automatically create a new product based on the information received from Checkfront and link the booking to it. What’s more, an automatic map will be created. So, if you now return to Checkfront and view the Advanced tab for the item, you’ll see that the item is now linked to the new product in Vend. If this option is left unchecked, a booking on a Checkfront item that doesn’t have a matching product in Vend, will not create a new product in Vend automatically.
• Automatically create register sales for staff bookings: If checked, Vend will automatically apply sales to the registers that have been mapped from your Checkfront staff members to a user in Vend. If this option is left unchecked, the sales will not be recorded in Vend automatically. Instead, you’ll need to click on the Open Sale link in the left sidebar of the invoice in Checkfront. This will open the sale in the Vend register where you can go ahead and complete it.
• Automatically create register sales for paid web bookings: If checked, Vend will automatically apply online customer bookings to the default register you chose during setup. If this option is left unchecked, the sales will not be recorded in Vend automatically. Instead, you’ll need to click on the Open Sale link in the left sidebar of the invoice in Checkfront. This will open the sale in the Vend register where you can go ahead and complete it.
• Automatically synchronize new customers: If checked, Vend will automatically create a new customer file when a booking comes in from Checkfront for a customer that does not already exist in the system.
• Do not trigger Checkfront notifications on Vend payments: If you have a receipt notification setup in Vend and do not wish for a notification to be sent from Checkfront also when a payment is made via Vend, check this option.
When finished, click the blue Update button to continue. The add-on is now active and your Checkfront account is integrated with Vend.
It’s now time to map your items in Checkfront to a product you have created in Vend. In a previous step, we created a product in Vend for the Valley Lodge (Single Room). This already exists in our Checkfront account as an item, so we’ll go ahead and pull that up in Checkfront now.
As you can see, when clicking on the item’s Advanced tab, a new Vend section has been added. From here you can choose the Vend SKU and the Vend Tax.
Vend SKU: This is where you map the Checkfront item to the Vend product. The first available option in the drop-down list is Import from Checkfront. If you select this, the item details from Checkfront will be imported into Vend and a brand new product will be created, based on those details. There is a limitation to the data which is transferred, however, so you would then need to go in and update this further in Vend. We recommend creating the product in Vend from scratch and then using this drop-down menu to select it. This means that whenever a booking is made on the item in Checkfront, the details of that booking will be mapped to the product in Vend.
In the example we have created, we will choose Checkfront Lodge (Single Room) from the list.
Vend Tax: Although we just chose a default tax for all bookings, not all items are taxable at the same rate. You can override that here.
After mapping your Checkfront items to your Vend products, you next need to map your Checkfront accounts to your Vend users.
To do this, visit Manage > Accounts in your Checkfront dashboard. Select a staff member from the list and look for the new Vend options that are now part of the staff member’s credentials.
Select the Vend user from the drop-down list which the Checkfront staff member will be mapped to. Also, you have the opportunity to select a different register other than the default one chosen in an earlier step. Each staff member can be attached to a different Vend register if you so wish.
Making & Locating a Booking
When a booking is made via Checkfront, whether that’s a customer on your website or a staff member in the backend, the details of that booking will be instantly and automatically synced with your account at Vend.
Take the following booking by Roy Cropper, for example:
Now that this reservation has been created in Checkfront, we should be able to locate it in Vend within seconds of completion. And here it is:
Locating the Booking in Vend
Switching our attention back to the booking invoice in Checkfront, you’ll notice a Vend button in the left sidebar.
Within that button is a link labelled View Customer. Clicking on this will open Vend directly on that customer profile where you can view the customer information and booking history.
Clicking the Open Sale link in the button will take you directly to the sale in Vend.