Invoice number complying with EU & Spanish law

Hi,

I'm a new business, and I have been told that in order to comply with Spanish (and European) law, all invoices issued need to have following numbers, without any gap.
But the booking code generated by Checkfront contains random letters and the date (YYYYMMDD), so this can not be used as an invoice number...

I'm wondering how other businesses deal with creating proper invoices with correct number?
any advice would greatly help!
Thank you!!!

Comments

• Hi Dedric, 

Thanks for your post! At this time, the ability to issue invoices with sequential (following) numbers without any gaps would be considered a feature improvement. The request is on our Product team’s radar, and others have requested this feature as well, so I’ll add you to the list.

I’d like to hear more about your exact business requirements in Spain, so I’ll send you a quick note in just a moment. Please keep your eye out for an email from support@checkfront.com. Thanks and talk to you soon! 

Laura
    Technical Support Manager, Checkfront 
  • Hi Laura

We have just gone live with Checkfront and use the Xero integration.  The invoice created in Xero from Checkfront uses the 'Booking ID' in Checkfront as the invoice number in Xero.  This is a random number made up of 4 letters and then the date.

UK tax law requires invoice numbers to be sequential - "Unique invoice number that follows on from the last invoice"

https://www.gov.uk/vat-record-keeping/vat-invoices

Can consideration please be given to re structuring Checkfront so that if the Booking ID is to be used as the Invoice number in the Xero integration, the Booking ID constitutes as sequential number, following on from the last Booking ID.  

e.g. CH-0000250, CH-0000251, CH-0000252 etc

Or, some other mechanism which produces sequential invoice numbers in Xero via the integration

I very much hope this can be achieved pleased

Many thanks

Glenn  
  • and it's not just UK or Spain. It's EU-wide:
    https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/eu-vat-rules-topic/vat-invoicing-rules_en#what_information

What information must an invoice contain?
    Full VAT invoices
    Information required in all cases

Date of issue
    Unique sequential number identifying the invoice
    Customer’s VAT identification number (if the customer is liable for the tax on the transaction)
    Supplier’s full name & address
    Customer’s full name & address
    Description of quantity & type of goods supplied or type & extent of services rendered
    Date of transaction or payment (if different from invoice date)
    VAT rate applied
    VAT amount payable
    Breakdown of VAT amount payable by VAT rate or exemption
    Unit price of goods or services – exclusive of tax, discounts or rebates (unless included in the unit pri